КНИГИ        регистрация / вход


СОДЕРЖАНИЕ: & Heritage In Enfield Essay, Research Paper Ponders End? History Ponders End started out as a large hamlet in the parish of Enfield. The Enfield enclosure map (1803) shows a straggling L-shaped settlement. The High Street

& Heritage In Enfield Essay, Research Paper


End? History


End started out as a large hamlet in the parish of Enfield. The Enfield

enclosure map (1803) shows a straggling L-shaped settlement. The High Street

was built up from Red Lane (Lincoln Road) to just south of Farm Lane (Southbury

Road). Houses were dotted along South Street as far as Ponders End Mill and the

Lee Navigation. There was also a small settlement clustered around Scotland

Green. There was no road access across the river to Chingford. (It was not

until the early eighteen-seventies that Lea Valley Road was built, financed by

public subscription). The

River Lee in its natural state was more or less navigable as far as Ware and

Hertford. The present Lee Navigation was constructed from 1766 under the

supervision of John Smeaton, including a lock at Ponders End.The

ancient moated manor house called Durants Arbour stood to the east of the High

Street, between The Ride and Durants Road. In the sixteenth century it was held

by the powerful Wroth family. Both Sir Thomas Wroth and his son Sir Robert

Wroth were prominent MP’s during the reign of Elizabeth I. The property later

passed to the Stringer family, one of whom, William Stringer, was married to

the daughter of the notorious Judge Jeffreys. The manor house was destroyed by

fire in the late 18th century, but a Tudor gatehouse survived until 1910. The

moat was subsequently filled in and the site built over.In 1826

there were coaches every half hour to London. In 1840 the first section of what

was to become the main railway line to Cambridge was opened between Stratford

and Broxbourne with a station at Ponders End. In 1845 the station was served by

6 trains daily in each direction. In 1891 the opening of the Southbury Loop

gave Ponders End a second station, sited in Southbury Road. However, this line

lost its passenger service in 1909 due to tramway competition.In 1881

a horse tramway from Stamford Hill was opened as far as the junction of

Southbury Road and the High Street. Sadly, it did not prosper and within a

short time the service was cut back to Tramway Avenue Depot at Edmonton. In

1907 a completely new electric tramway was built through Ponders End, reaching

Waltham Cross in 1908. In 1911 the tramway was extended along Southbury Road,

forming a branch to Enfield Town. Apart from the Southbury Road route the trams

gave way to trolleybuses in 1938. A

report by the General Board of Health (1850) on sanitary conditions in Enfield

reveals an alarming state of affairs in Ponders End. Many of the older cottages

were grossly overcrowded and extremly insanitary. The worst affected areas were

South Street and Scotland Green. The whole area suffered from poor drainage.Housing

development began at a fairly early date. Alma Road was developed from 1855 and

Napier Road had been laid out by 1867. The Lincoln House Estate (Derby Road and

Lincoln Road) was built up from 1871. Durants Road was dveloped from 1888 and

Nags Head Road from 1890. By 1914 much of the area had been built up, but there

was still open country separating Ponders End from Enfield Highway to the north

and Edmonton to the south.For

many years the nearest church was at Enfield Town. Then in 1831 St James Church

was built at Enfield Highway. Ponders End did not get a church of its own until

1878 when St Matthew’s Church was erected in South Street. The nonconformists,

however, took Ponders End rather more seriously. An Independent Chapel was

built in the High Street in 1768. (This is the direct ancestor of the present

United Reformed Church).The

oldest industrial site is the Ponders End Mill. The present mill buildings date

from the late 18th century. In 1809 Grout and Baylis’ crape factory was built

in South Street. This closed in 1894 and the factory was later taken over by

United Flexible Metal Tubing. A jute mill was opened beside the Lee Navigation

in 1865, lasting until 1882. The building was taken over by Ediswan in 1886 and

used for the manufacture of electric light bulbs and later radio valves. During

World War I, a huge munitions factory, the Ponders End Shell Works was built in

Wharf Road. The factory buildings were sold off after the war. Further

factories were built in the thirties alongside the newly-built Great Cambridge


development resumed after World War I. The gaps separating Ponders End from

Edmonton and Enfield Highway were finally closed. Much former market garden

land was built upon. By 1939 the area was virtually fully developed.There

have been several transport innovations since World War II. The Southbury Loop,

closed to passengers since 1909, was re-opened and electrified in 1960. The Lea

Valley Line was electrified in 1969. Trolleybuses gave way to conventional

diesel buses in 1961. In the early nineteen-sixties Nags Head Road was extended

to link up with Lea Valley Road, bypassing the heavily congested level crossing

at Ponders End station.After

World War II much of the older part of Ponders End was in a rundown state. From

the fifties onwards there was much council redevelopment particularly in the

South Street and Alma Road areas. Today Ponders End is an uneasy mixture of old

and new: the Mill buildings survive in the shadow of the Alma Road tower


Reading Hodson,

George and Ford, Edward – A history of Enfield. Enfield. 1873.Pam,

David – Protestant gentlemen: the Wroths of Durants Arbour, Enfield and

Loughton, Essex. Edmonton Hundred Historical Society. 1973Robinson,

William – The history and antiquities of Enfield. London. 1873Whitaker,

Cuthbert Whitaker – An illustrated history, statistical and topographical

account of Enfield. London. 1911.St

Matthew’s Ladies Fellowship – Ponders End remembered. Enfield. 1981.Dalling,

Graham – Parish church of St Matthew, Ponders End. Enfield. 1978. Pam,

David – A history of Enfield: Vol.1: before 1837. Enfield. 1990.



Предложения интернет-магазинов

Globalistics and Globalization Studies: Big History & Global History

  Издательство: Учитель, 2015 г.

Цена: 620 руб.   Купить

This yearbook is the fourth in the series with the title Globalistics and Globalization Studies. The subtitle of the present volume is Global History & Big History. The point is that today our global world really demands global knowledge. Thus, there are a few actively developing multidisciplinary approaches and integral disciplines among which one can name Global Studies, Global History and Big History. They all provide a connection between the past, present, and future. Big History with its vast and extremely heterogeneous field of research encompasses all the forms of existence and all timescales and brings together constantly updated information from the scientific disciplines and the humanities. Global History is transnational or world history which examines history from a global perspective, making a wide use of comparative history and of the history of multiple cultures and nations. Global Studies express the view of systemic and epistemological unity of global processes. Thus, one may argue that Global Studies and Globalistics can well be combined with Global History and Big History and such a multi-disciplinary approach can open wide horizons for the modern university education as it helps to form a global view of various processes.

Teaching and Researching Big History: Exploring a New Scholarly Field

Автор(ы): Christian David, Baker David, Grinin Leonid E.   Издательство: Учитель, 2014 г.

Цена: 1043 руб.   Купить

According to the working definition of the International Big History Association. 'Big History seeks to understand the integrated history of the Cosmos, Earth, Life and Humanity, using the best available empirical evidence and scholarly methods'. In recent years Big History has been developing very fast indeed. Big History courses are taught in the schools and universities of several dozen countries. Hundreds of researchers are involved in studying and teaching Big History. The unique approach of Big History, the interdisciplinary genre of history that deals with the grand narrative of 13.8 billion years, has opened up a vast amount of research agendas. Big History brings together constantly updated information from the scientific disciplines and merges it with the contemplative realms of philosophy and the humanities. It also provides a connection between the past, present, and future. Big History is a colossal and extremely heterogeneous field of research encompassing all the forms of existence and all timescales. Unsurprisingly, Big History may be presented in very different aspects and facets. In this volume the Big History is presented and discussed in three different ways. In its first part. Big History is explored in terms of methodology, theories of knowledge, as well as showcasing the personal approach of scholars to Big History. The second section comprises such articles that could clarify Big History's main trends and laws. The third part of this book explores the nature of teaching Big History as well as profiling a number of educational methods. This volume will be useful both for those who study interdisciplinary macroproblems and for specialists working in focused directions, as well as for those who are interested in evolutionary issues of Astrophysics, Geology, Biology, History, Anthropology, Linguistics and other areas of study.

British History

Автор(ы): Wood Tim   Издательство: Ladybird, 2015 г.

Цена: 697 руб.   Купить

The Ladybird Book of British History is the ideal first reference book for primary school children. Full of fascinating facts and detailed drawings, this handy book will form an invaluable part of any child's first reference library. It is packed with information about topics children will learn at school, including the Romans, the Tudors, and Victorian Britain. The book also includes a weblink to a downloadable timeline of British history. If your children enjoyed this title why not try The Ladybird Book of Kings and Queens.

Faces of History, or History of Faces. Учебное пособие

Автор(ы): Шишкина Светлана Григорьевна   Издательство: Флинта, 2007 г.

Цена: 171 руб.   Купить

Пособие состоит из шести разделов, каждый из которых дает представление о духовной жизни разных эпох. Структура уроков предполагает поэтапное овладение лексикой, расширение культуроведческой компетенции и, в конечном счете, формирует умение извлекать из текста максимум необходимой смысловой и лингвистической информации. При составлении пособия использовались аутентичные тексты. Издание рассчитано на 50-60 аудиторных и самостоятельных занятий. Для студентов, аспирантов и преподавателей вузов.

ДОБАВИТЬ КОММЕНТАРИЙ  [можно без регистрации]
перед публикацией все комментарии рассматриваются модератором сайта - спам опубликован не будет

Ваше имя:


Все материалы в разделе "Иностранный язык"