Change Oil In A Car Essay, Research Paper
How to Change The Oil In a Car
Equipment Needed: 5 quarts of 10w30 motor oil, an oil filter for your
model vehicle, a pan that will hold at least 5 quarts of oil to catch the oil in,
a 3-ton floor jack, an adjustable wrench, and a funnel.
Process: Note: For safety an Oil change must take place on a flat,
hard surface, capable of holding up the floor jack.
- Put your vehicle in park and shut off the engine if it was running.
- Place the 3-ton floor jack underneath the car behind the left front tire.
- You will now see a flat surface in this area of the car frame to put the lifting surface of the jack on.
- Line the jack up with this section
- Turn the jack handle clockwise until it stops and begin jacking up the vehicle
- Jack up the vehicle until the left front tire is about 1 foot off of the ground. This should give you enough room to get under the car.
- Now we can begin the oil changing process.
- Gather your pan, filter, and wrench then slide underneath the car from the left front side underneath the bumper.
- When you get underneath the car locate the oil pan. It should be just about in the middle when you get underneath your car.
- When you find a flat square section with one bolt sticking out of the bottom left of the section, this is the oil drain plug.
- Take your wrench and adjust it to fit the bolt.
- Place the pan underneath the drain pug so when you take the bolt out it will catch the oil.
- Begin turning the bolt in a counterclockwise position until it is just about ready to be removed
- Sit the wrench down and finish taking out the bolt with your fingers until it is removed and the oil is draining into the pan.
- After all the oil has been drained put the bolt back in and tighten the bolt by turning it in a clockwise position until tight.
- Look near the pan and you will find a circle bottom shaped figure about 4 inches in circumference that will say oil filter somewhere upon it.
- Take your hand and turn it counterclockwise until it is removed.
- Place the old oil filter in the pan as well.
- Acquire your new oil filter and put it in place of the old one and turn it in a clockwise position until tight.
- Now slide out from underneath your vehicle bringing the pan and your wrench with you.
- Go to the jack and slowly turn the handle in a counterclockwise position until the car is slowly starting to come down. Let the car all the way down and remove your jack from underneath the car
- Pop the hood of your vehicle.
- Locate a cap on your engine that reads engine oil fill.
- Turn this cap counterclockwise and remove it.
- Place your funnel in the hole the cap was covering.
- Open up all of the oil and pour them into the funnel.(Be sure to do this steadily so none of the oil overflows out of the funnel)
- Now remove the funnel and put the cap back on by turning it clockwise.
- Close the hood of your vehicle.
- You are done!
How Often do I Change my Oil?: The oil in your vehicle should be
changed every 3000 miles and all you have to do is follow these easy to use