Characters Of King Arthur Essay, Research Paper
1. King Arthur is considered to be the High King of Britain and the son of Uther Pendragon. Merlin who became his chief advisor taught him. He became king at age 15 when Uther died in battle. King Arthur ruled over Camelot with his wife Guinevere. The lady of the Lake gave him the sword Excalibur. His wife and son Mordred betrayed him. Mordred fatally wounded Arthur. Three of the nine witches of Avalon brought him to Avalon. Two of those witches were Morgan La Fay and The Lady of the Lake. They healed him and put in an eternal slumber only to wake in Briton s greatest time of need.
2. Lady Guinevere is the wife of King Arthur and the daughter of a Roman Noble. Since she was Roman, she introduced Christianity to the Arthur legend, the legend was primarily pagan. Coincidently with Guinevere s arrival to the legend Merlin s appearance diminished because he represented Pagen beliefs, due to his use of magic. Lady Guinevere was rumored to be the most beautiful woman. She had many suitors ; Mordred, Roman raiders, Morgan La Fay, and other savage tribes from the north were constantly kidnapping her. One other suitor is Sir Lancelot, they had an affair where Lancelot took all the blame and said he forced her to engage in sex. She is eventually the one that brought down the kingdom of Camelot; because she was forced too betray Arthur by Mordred, Arthur s illegitimate son.
3. Camelot is the kingdom of King Arthur. There are many different locations of Camelot. These places have been Wales, Winchester, Tintagel (Arthur s birthplace), and
the one most historians believe Cadbury Castle in Somerset. Cadbury castle over looks Glastonbury and Avalon, Arthur s resting place.
5. Merlin was Uther Pendragon s chief advisor, and then Arthur s after his father s death. Merlin played an important role in the birth of Arthur. He made Uther look like Duke Gorlois so he could seduce Igraine. Merlin then took care off and taught Arthur as a youth. Merlin also created the round table while Uther ruled the Kingdom. Merlin taught both Morgan La Fey and the Lady of The Lake, Nimue, magic in exchange for their love. They both became stronger than Merlin. Nimue trapped Merlin in a cave with a spell. Arthur s knights meet outside this cave whenever they began an adventure.
6. Tintagel Castle is believed to be the place where Arthur was conceived. His father and mother where Uther Pendragon, looking like Duke Gorlois, and Lady Igraine of Cornwall. Uther seduced her while his army attacked the castle.
7. Morgan La Fay is the half sister of King Arthur. She is also the mother of Mordred, who she conceived with Arthur. Arthur did not know she was his half sister at the time.
She learned her magic from Merlin. She is also one of the nine sorceresses of Avalon. Morgan La Fay healed Arthur and left him in a state of sleep to return when Briton needs him again. She has great hatred to lady Guinevere, she sent The Green Knight to try to scare Guinevere to death.
8. Uther Pendragon is the father of King Arthur. He conceived Arthur with Lady Igraine of Cornwall. Merlin transformed Uther to look like Duke Gorlois Lady Igraine s husband. Duke Gorlois was killed, when Uther s army attacked Gorlois s castle. Uther then married Igraine. Uther was killed, when Arthur was15, giving Arthur control of the kingdom.
9. Avalon is the eternal resting place of King Arthur and Guinevere. Morgan La Fey and other witches brought Arthur there after he received a mortal wound from Mordred. There they healed him and put him to rest so he can return once again.
10. Sir Bedivere is one of Arthur s Knights of the Round Table. He is the one that returned Excalibur to the lady of the lake.
11. Mordred is the illegitimate son of King Arthur. He was a Knight of the round table, but he eventually went renegade and tried to overthrow Arthur. Arthur was away fighting a battle and Mordred forced Guinevere to marry him. Mordred and Arthur fought when Arthur returned Mordred was killed and Arthur was mortally wounded. Morgan La Fay then took Arthur to Avalon.
12. Excalibur is the magical sword given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake. It is supposedly to have an unbreakable blade, and a scabbard that protected Arthur as long as he wore it. Merlin asked the Lady of the Lake to give the sword to Arthur because he was afraid Arthur would fall in battle. An elfan smith allegedly forges the sword.
13. The Holy Grail is believed to be the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper. Legend said that the to find the Grail one had to be pure of heart and true. This is why Lancelot no matter how hard he tried, failed in every attempt to find the Grail.
14. Sir Galahad was the son of Sir Lancelot and Elaine of Corbenic. She deceived Lancelot to sleep with her by pretending to be Queen Guinevere. Galahad possessed all the qualities of holy perfection and he was the last member to join the Knights of the Round Table. He went on a search for the Holy Grail; he believed he was destined to find it because he had visions of the Grail in his dreams. He was believed to achieve his Quest for the Grail and sat in the seat reserved at the Round Table for the Grail Knight, Siege Perilious.
15. Glastonbury is believed to be the fabled Isle of Avalon. A group of monks from the Glastonbury Abby supposedly discovered the tomb of Arthur and Guinevere. With a sign that read, Here lies the once and future King Arthur.