Quit Smoking Essay, Research Paper
Attention Getter: 390,000 people died last year. Each one of them spending an estimated 1,100 dollars a year on their deaths. In twenty-five years each person could have had an estimated 28,000 dollars of free spending money. Smoking is the root of the problem.
Appeal to Audience: Weather you smoke or not it affects everyone in this room. You can be affected by either getting taxed for the medical bills or as simple as second hand smoke.
Thesis Statement: Everyone must quit smoking.
Preview: Your going to hear about Tobacco, second hand smoke, quitting smoking, ways of quitting, on the day you quit, withdrawal symptoms.
Transition to body: These are the facts about smoking
A. Dried leaves and stems
B. Nicotinia Tabacum
1. Native to North America
2. Now grown around the world
C. Contains the drug nicotine
1. Powerful nerve stimulant
2. Extremely toxic
i. Three drops could kill a person
ii. Most addictive drug in existence
D. 50 million Americans smoke
1. Consume 540 billion cigarettes each year
E. 300 known poisons
3. Carbon monoxide
F. 30% of cancer deaths are liked to smoking
1. Mostly lung cancer
3. Oral cavity
8. Stomach Second-hand smoke
Transition: Not only are you hurting yourself, but others around you.
II Second-hand smoke
A. Nations number 1 air pollution
1. Killing more people than any other air pollution combined
2. Lung cancer in healthy non-smokers
3. Children grow up with respiratory problems
i. Miss three days of school a year
ii. Seven weeks in twelve years
iii. Lose their sense of smell up to 20%
Transition: It’s actually realistic to give all of this up.
III Quitting smoking
A. Preparing yourself for quitting
1. Decide that you want to quit
2. List reasons for quitting
3. Begin to condition yourself
4. Set a date to quit
5. Have realistic expectations
6. understand withdrawal symptoms are temporary
7. Involve someone else
B Ways of quitting
1. Switch brands
2. Cut down on the number of smokes
3. Smoke only half
4. Wait one hour before your first smoke
C On the day you quit
1. Toss all cigarettes
2. Buy something with the left over money
3. Spend time where you can’t smoke
4. Drink lots of water
5. Avoid Alcohol
6. Call someone instead of smoking
7. Chew a toothpick
8. Associate with nonsmokers
9. Analyze cigarette ads
10. Do things that require use of hands
11. Brush your teeth
12. Get plenty of rest
13. Chew sunflower seeds
14. Take a bath
15. Light incense
D. Withdrawal symptoms
1. Dry mouth
3. Trouble sleeping
Transition: Succeed, and make your self feel better.
After I have gone through what tobacco is, second hand smoke, quitting smoking, ways of quitting, on the day you quit, and withdrawal symptoms everyone needs to go and take action on this problem.
Everyone must quit smoking.
Everyone knows who smokes. Present these ideas to them or yourself. By not smoking you can make yourself and others feel delighted and in control.