A Remarkable Woman Of The Early West

Essay, Research Paper Margaret Ann Martin was born in Greenfield, Nelson County, Virginia on January 20th, 1834. Her parents were Hudson Martin and Nancy Thorpe. Hudson Marton was

Essay, Research Paper

Margaret Ann Martin was born in Greenfield, Nelson County, Virginia on January

20th, 1834. Her parents were Hudson Martin and Nancy Thorpe. Hudson Marton was

born in Virginia in 1765. At the close of the Revolutionary War, Giddeon Martin, his after

moved to Kentucky. Giddeon Martin had fought for seven years in the Revolution under

General George Washington.

Hudsont Martin and Nancy Thorpe were married March 22nd, 1824. The

following children were born to this union John, their only son, and daughters Jane,

Mahalley, Margaret Ann, Nancy and Jennie. They were raised in Virginia.

Margaret Ann’s mother died in 1859 and her father in 1861. Margaret Ann was

married to Andrew Jackson on December 16th, 1858. They loved in Broxton County,

West Virginia. Andrew Jackson, joined with the Confederate Army and was made

Captain of Company B-19th Virginia Cavalry.

Mrs. Jackson was ordered north in the fall of 1863. All of her possessions and

property were confiscated and she was allowed to take only her two saddle bags of

clothing, approximately sixty pounds of baggage. She was carried on horseback, under a

flag of truce through the Confederate lines to her house in Virginia.

During his four years of service in the army, Captain Jackson came home to visit

his wife three times. On one visit, he only had time for dinner with her and had been gone

about fifteen minutes when the house was surrounded by soldiers. Once he came for a

visit overnight and at another time for nine days.

At the close of war, Captain and Mrs. Jackson moved to South Carolina two years

in the fall of 1865hey started West by ox teams, stopping in Bandera Couny, Texas, where

they remained until 1873. Mr. Jackson was running a sawmill there.

They left Texas, May 1873 with three wagons and ox teams, driving five yoke of

oxen to one wagon and four yoke each to the other two wagons. They avaraved from

twenty to twenty five miles per day. At night, when camped, two oxen were necked

together and belled.

They spent that winter in Trinadad, Colorado, where they could have good range

for there cattle, remaining there until May 1874 when they started north on the third leg of

their journey, going out by Larma City, Pueblo, Denver and down to the great Salt Lake,

hence to Corrine into Idaho, down the Snake River to Munds Ferry, then out over the

Powder Range into backer City, Oregon. From here they traveled into Grand Round

Valley, crossed the Blued mountains into Walla-Walla and continued up the Columbia

River, crossing in October 13, 1874, coming into Yakama County, Washington. They

arrived at Kittitas Valley, November 2nd, 1874. Mr. Jackson was a stock and horse trader

so in the spring he decided to go to Pudget Sound where he sold his oxen for $250.00 a

team, realizing some $3,250.00. He then bought two teams of horses, four head, and one

team of mules with wagon. They lived in Washington for a few years, logging and

working in a sawmill but he soon became restless and wanted to go South, through

Oregon, Klamath Lake, Tule Lake and out into California. They crossed the Sacramento

River at Red Bluffs into Sacramento City, and continued on into San Joaquin Valley,

coming through to San Bernardino, California. After some short rest and many needed

repairs, the wagon train started across the desert to Hardyville, hence on into Arizona.

They arrived in Presscott, January 1st, 1876. Mrs., Jackson was the first white woman to

live on Lower Oak Creek . They drove out to Chino Valley and lived there for three

months in a house owned by Mr. Hall.

While speculating and trading around, Mr. Jackson made up his mind to move to

Oak Creek. Here, they were the first white settlers or ranchers on the lower creek until

late in the fall of 1876. Mrs. Jackson was the first white woman to live on the Lower Oak

Creek. Living among the warring Apaches, she saw many fierce out breaks and raids.

Mr. Jackson was a stoic, care free and dominating man. He traded and handled

stock, traveling about the country for many miles, leaving his wife alone in there cabin on

the creek, Mrs. Jackson tended to the stock and did all the ranch chores alone. She

related that many a time she saw and heard yelling Indians ride by the place on the

surrounding hills, but she was molested and remained secluded in her small cabin. The

Jackson’s only had one child and passed away in infancy.

While living here on lower Oak Creek, Mrs. Jackson named House Mountain. At

this time, there was a tall rock chimney at one end of the mountain formation which was

later destroyed by a bolt of lightning.

Captain Jackson died on February 22nd, 1892, and was buried Middle Verde

Cemetery, near Camp Verde.

Three years after the death of Captain Jackson, Mrs. Jackson became the wife of

David E. Dumas, being married on October 13th, 1895. They continued to live on the

lower Oak Creek ranch and it was here in 1896 that Mack Oliver Dumas, son of David

Dumas came west from Texas to make his home with his Dad and new Mother. Mother

Dumas lover her acquired son most dearly, just as if it were her own. She gave a very

good home to this wandering boy of sixteen years.

In 1905 the family moved to the Red Rock Country on a ranch at the foot of Court

House Rock, adjoining the old Schuerman Ranch.

One of Mother Dumas’ closest and dearest friend was Mrs. James Tompson,

mother of Charles and Albert Tompson. Their friendship was long and lasting, their visits

extended over three or four days at a time, as they were so far apart and it was on to

convenient to make many trips by wagon and team.

The Schuerman’s and Dumas’ were always close friends and raised much fruit

which included peaches, apples, apricots, and plums in addition to large gardens.

Dad and Mother Dumas were know throughout the valley for their warm

hospitality and sincere welcome which they extended to everyone in the valley, also Jerone

and Camp Verde. Never was a person refused a meal or bed at the Dumas Ranch, Often

they would retire alone at night and would awaken the next morning with a house full of

hungry people, ready to eat hot biscuits, bacon and eggs with good strong coffee. Mother

Dumas would never allow a lone biscuit to be thrown out after a meal. She always said, "

someone will come along before morning and just might need a bite to eat."

Dad and Mother Dumas lived many happy long years at the old Dumas Ranch,

now known as Crescent Moon Ranch. In the summer of 1920, Dad Dumas became ill and

passed away in Flagstaff where he was buried. Mother Dumas lived to enjoy here town

grandchildren here and was a very dear member of the step sons household. Her health

began to fail in 1924 and she passed away January 24th 1925 at the age of ninety one

years. She was buried beside Captain Jackson In Middle Verde Cemetery.