The history of Olympic games goes back to Ancient Greece. They began in 776 B.C. (that is more than 2700 years ago) at Olympia in Greece.
Ancient Olympic starting line. Olympia Stadium
It was a great athletic festival including many different kinds of sports:
The Olympics were organized up to the year of 391. In 394 A.D. the Games stopped.
Olympia, Greece Olympia, Greece
Since 1936 the opening ceremony has been celebrated by lightning a flame which is called "Olympic Flame".
Every ring symbolized a continent:
-Black – Africa
-Blue – Europe
-Red – America
-Yellow – Asia
-Green - Australia
Badminton Table tennis
Wrestling Modern pentathlon
Baseball Bow shooting
Water sport Firing
Gymnastics Tae kwon do
Academic rowing Weight-lifting
Horse riding Hockey
Track and field sports
1.The Ancient Games were first held in
• Italy c) Greece
• Germany d) Spain
2.The first of modern Olympic Games were held in
• London c) Rome
• Barcelona d) Athens
3. The first of the Modern Olympic Games were held in
• 1876 c) 1906
• 1896 d) 1916
4. The Olympic Games are held every
• 2 years c) 6 years
• 4 years d) 8 years
5.The Olympic symbol is
• 4 interlaced squares c) 3 blue stars
• 5 interlaced rings
6. The 22 Olympic Games were held in
• Los Angeles c) Moscow
• Athens d) Rome
7. The second-place winner in the Olympic event receives
• A silver medal c) A bronze medal
• A gold medal d) A certificate
8. What Greek God was honoured at the Ancient Olympic Games?
9. Who founded the modern Olympics? When?
• Home task
Good phonetic reading and translation.